Compulsive Internet Surfing
The Internet is a fascinating tool that can be used to learn more about our world and everything in it. It provides stories, movies, entertainment, news and more. However, the Internet also has the power to rob individuals of their time, their families and the quality of their lives. Commonly known as internet addiction, compulsive Internet surfing has a growing presence in American culture. A compulsion is a strong, seemingly uncontrollable urge to engage in a behavior.
Signs and Symptoms of Compulsive Internet Surfing
The following questions can help you determine if you may have a problem with compulsive Internet surfing. If you answer ‘yes’ to three or more questions, you might want to find ways to limit your time spent online or seek counseling for your Internet use.
- Do you use the Internet or stay online longer than you originally planned once a week or more?
- Do you think about online activity or your next online session even when you are not on the Internet?
- Have you tried to stop your Internet use before but were unable to discontinue using the computer?
- When you are forced to be away from the Internet, do you find yourself feeling irritable, depressed or moody?
- Do you use the Internet much more now than you used to?
- Have you ever lost a relationship, had a fight with loved ones or lost a job, career or educational opportunity over Internet use?
- Have you ever lied about your Internet use in order to hide the amount of time you spend online?
- Do you ever use online time as a way to feel better, to escape from problems or to just “tune out?”
- Have you ever had a relationship or friendship that was only based around the Internet, i.e. an online friendship or romantic relationship?
Need Help for Compulsive Internet Surfing?
Excessive Internet use has been linked to depression, substance abuse and other serious mental illness. We can help change your patterns of Internet use. We offer a free 24-hour helpline to assist you in finding treatment for compulsive Internet surfing. Contact us today.