Find Gender-Specific Addiction Help
We can see how men and women think and act differently in our relationships, in our families and in the media. Not only do people of different genders often think differently, but men and women also learn differently and recover from traumatic situations differently. For this reason, gender-specific addiction treatment can be successful since it emphasizes specific ways to treat those who have unique circumstances due to gender.
Differences between Men and Women in Treatment
Some common differences between men and women can affect the ways that rehab centers choose to treat patients of each gender, including the following:
- Men may have a more difficult time being vulnerable than women, especially in the presence of others
- Women who are abusing drugs tend to have low self-esteem
- Men who are abusing drugs often have more anger and rage issues than women
- Men may be more likely to share their issues about sex and relationships if women are not present, due to self-esteem issues
- Women can often experience trust issues related to their drug use that may be triggered by the presence of men
How Rehabilitation Centers Can Focus on Treating Women
When the professionals at a rehab facility are able to focus on treating only women patients, there are several methods that may be beneficial for them to emphasize, including the following:
- Providing support – Women’s rehab programs may focus on developing a support system that will allow the women to bond with one another and work on their addictions together.
- Creating a non-confrontational environment – By discussing and working through problems in a non-confrontational manner, a treatment program can create a safe haven for the women.
- Focusing on self-esteem – Self-esteem is a common issue among women who are struggling with addiction. Implementing a program that promotes each woman’s strengths and praises women for their successes can be beneficial for their development.
- Providing positive role models – When women learn from other women, they are provided with positive role models who they can relate to and strive to be like.
How Rehabilitation Centers Can Focus on Treating Men
At a male-only rehab facility, professionals are able to focus on a number of customized treatment techniques, including the following:
- Teaching men to express feelings – By separating the men and women, gender-specific rehab can provide men with a place to share their emotions and express feelings that may not be otherwise shared in everyday life.
- Improving men’s body images – Men often have a difficult time accepting their appearance and working separately with other men can help build back that self-esteem without the distraction of women.
- Emphasizing social responsibilities – Men often have different social responsibilities and demands placed on them by our culture than women do. This issue can be addressed with other men so they can learn from one another and open up about this issue.
- Providing positive role models – Just like women, men can benefit from finding positive role models in other men to help them strive for success.
Gender-specific treatment can often prove successful for both men and women and may be an effective option for those who are seeking a rehab program for themselves or a loved one.
Learn More about Gender-Specific Treatment
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, please call our toll-free helpline today. Our counselors are available 24 hours a day to answer your questions and help you find the best treatment facility for you. Call now.